[VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.4 RC0

12

[VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.4 RC0

Junping Du-2
Hi community folks,
   I've created a release candidate RC0 for Apache Hadoop 2.6.4 (the next maintenance release to follow up 2.6.3.) according to email thread of release plan 2.6.4 [1]. Below is details of this release candidate:

The RC is available for validation at:
*http://people.apache.org/~junping_du/hadoop-2.6.4-RC0/
<http://people.apache.org/~junping_du/hadoop-2.6.4-RC0/>*

The RC tag in git is: release-2.6.4-RC0

The maven artifacts are staged via repository.apache.org at:
*https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1028/?
<https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1028/>*

You can find my public key at:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/dist/KEYS

Please try the release and vote. The vote will run for the usual 5 days.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Junping

[1]: 2.6.4 release plan: http://markmail.org/message/fk3ud3c665lscvx5?

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.4 RC0

Yongjun Zhang
Hi Junping,

Thanks a lot for leading the effort on 2.6.4.

We were discussing in HDFS-9629, and have agreement on adding an additional
step in the release process to update the year in the webui footer. See

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-9629?focusedCommentId=15130043&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-15130043

I noticed that the current RC for 2.6.4 still has the year of 2014 (the
example steps in the above link is validated on 2.6.4 RC0). So the steps I
proposed in the link could be applied when we create new RCs.

Thanks Akira for +1 on this proposed additional release step. Once we have
an agreement on the details, we will update the wiki page accordingly.

Best,

--Yongjun

On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 11:01 PM, Junping Du <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi community folks,
>    I've created a release candidate RC0 for Apache Hadoop 2.6.4 (the next
> maintenance release to follow up 2.6.3.) according to email thread of
> release plan 2.6.4 [1]. Below is details of this release candidate:
>
> The RC is available for validation at:
> *http://people.apache.org/~junping_du/hadoop-2.6.4-RC0/
> <http://people.apache.org/~junping_du/hadoop-2.6.4-RC0/>*
>
> The RC tag in git is: release-2.6.4-RC0
>
> The maven artifacts are staged via repository.apache.org at:
> *https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1028/?
> <https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1028/
> >*
>
> You can find my public key at:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/dist/KEYS
>
> Please try the release and vote. The vote will run for the usual 5 days.
>
> Thanks!
>

> Cheers,
>
> Junping
>

> [1]: 2.6.4 release plan: http://markmail.org/message/fk3ud3c665lscvx5?

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.4 RC0

Ted Yu-3
I modified hbase pom.xml (0.98 branch) to point to staged maven artifacts.

All unit tests passed.

Cheers

On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 11:01 PM, Junping Du <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi community folks,
>    I've created a release candidate RC0 for Apache Hadoop 2.6.4 (the next
> maintenance release to follow up 2.6.3.) according to email thread of
> release plan 2.6.4 [1]. Below is details of this release candidate:
>
> The RC is available for validation at:
> *http://people.apache.org/~junping_du/hadoop-2.6.4-RC0/
> <http://people.apache.org/~junping_du/hadoop-2.6.4-RC0/>*
>
> The RC tag in git is: release-2.6.4-RC0
>
> The maven artifacts are staged via repository.apache.org at:
> *https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1028/?
> <https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1028/
> >*
>
> You can find my public key at:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/dist/KEYS
>
> Please try the release and vote. The vote will run for the usual 5 days.
>
> Thanks!
>

> Cheers,
>
> Junping
>

> [1]: 2.6.4 release plan: http://markmail.org/message/fk3ud3c665lscvx5?

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.4 RC0

Akira AJISAKA
+1 (binding)

- Downloaded source tarball and binary tarball
- Verified signatures and checksums
- Compiled and built a single node cluster
- Compiled Hive 1.2.1 and Tez 0.7.0/0.8.2 using Hadoop 2.6.4 pom
successfully
- Ran some Hive on Tez/MRv2 queries successfully

Thanks,
Akira

On 2/4/16 11:30, Ted Yu wrote:

> I modified hbase pom.xml (0.98 branch) to point to staged maven artifacts.
>
> All unit tests passed.
>
> Cheers
>
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 11:01 PM, Junping Du <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi community folks,
>>     I've created a release candidate RC0 for Apache Hadoop 2.6.4 (the next
>> maintenance release to follow up 2.6.3.) according to email thread of
>> release plan 2.6.4 [1]. Below is details of this release candidate:
>>
>> The RC is available for validation at:
>> *http://people.apache.org/~junping_du/hadoop-2.6.4-RC0/
>> <http://people.apache.org/~junping_du/hadoop-2.6.4-RC0/>*
>>
>> The RC tag in git is: release-2.6.4-RC0
>>
>> The maven artifacts are staged via repository.apache.org at:
>> *https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1028/?
>> <https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1028/
>>> *
>>
>> You can find my public key at:
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/dist/KEYS
>>
>> Please try the release and vote. The vote will run for the usual 5 days.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Junping
>>

>> [1]: 2.6.4 release plan: http://markmail.org/message/fk3ud3c665lscvx5?

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.4 RC0

Yongjun Zhang
Thanks Junping again for working on this release.

+1 (binding),

- Downloaded source tarball and binary tarball
- Verified signature and checksum for both source and binary tarballs
- Compiled and built a single node cluster
- Run HDFS shell commands to create files
- Run distcp job between this new cluster and some other cluster with older
release successfully.

BTW, in case other people find any issue or request additional important
fixes to include, such that we need new RC, I'd  suggest to to
include HDFS-9629 together to update to release year of Web UI footer
(currently it's 2014).

Thanks.

--Yongjun

On Sat, Feb 6, 2016 at 11:27 PM, Akira AJISAKA <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> +1 (binding)
>
> - Downloaded source tarball and binary tarball
> - Verified signatures and checksums
> - Compiled and built a single node cluster
> - Compiled Hive 1.2.1 and Tez 0.7.0/0.8.2 using Hadoop 2.6.4 pom
> successfully
> - Ran some Hive on Tez/MRv2 queries successfully
>
> Thanks,
> Akira
>
> On 2/4/16 11:30, Ted Yu wrote:
>
>> I modified hbase pom.xml (0.98 branch) to point to staged maven artifacts.
>>
>> All unit tests passed.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 11:01 PM, Junping Du <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi community folks,
>>>     I've created a release candidate RC0 for Apache Hadoop 2.6.4 (the
>>> next
>>> maintenance release to follow up 2.6.3.) according to email thread of
>>> release plan 2.6.4 [1]. Below is details of this release candidate:
>>>
>>> The RC is available for validation at:
>>> *http://people.apache.org/~junping_du/hadoop-2.6.4-RC0/
>>> <http://people.apache.org/~junping_du/hadoop-2.6.4-RC0/>*
>>>
>>> The RC tag in git is: release-2.6.4-RC0
>>>
>>> The maven artifacts are staged via repository.apache.org at:
>>> *
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1028/
>>> ?
>>> <
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1028/

>>> You can find my public key at:
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/dist/KEYS
>>>
>>> Please try the release and vote. The vote will run for the usual 5 days.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>

>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Junping
>>>

>>> [1]: 2.6.4 release plan: http://markmail.org/message/fk3ud3c665lscvx5?

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.4 RC0

Steve Loughran-3

> On 3 Feb 2016, at 07:01, Junping Du <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi community folks,
>   I've created a release candidate RC0 for Apache Hadoop 2.6.4 (the next maintenance release to follow up 2.6.3.) according to email thread of release plan 2.6.4 [1]. Below is details of this release candidate:
>
> The RC is available for validation at:
> *http://people.apache.org/~junping_du/hadoop-2.6.4-RC0/
> <http://people.apache.org/~junping_du/hadoop-2.6.4-RC0/>*
>
> The RC tag in git is: release-2.6.4-RC0
>
> The maven artifacts are staged via repository.apache.org at:
> *https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1028/?
> <https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1028/>*
>
> You can find my public key at:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/dist/KEYS

+1 binding

I rebuilt apache slider (incubating) with -Dhadoop.version=2.6.4; this picked up the artifacts from staging, ran all unit tests

I ran the functional tests with that build deploying stuff to a kerberized Hadoop 2.6.0 cluster: that's a nice way of catching backwards compatibility problems, including failure to link against the older libhadoop.so

a couple of the thirty tests did fail, which had me worried -so I did a rebuild of the slider code against hadoop 2.7.2 and the problem was still there, something which looks suspiciously related to kerberos auth problems. Not related to the 2.6.4 RC at all.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.4 RC0

Eric Payne-3
Hi Junping Du. Thank you for your work preparing this release.
I did the following things to test release Hadoop 2.6.4 rc0:- Downloaded hadoop-2.6.4-RC0-src.tar.gz- built from source both package, install, and eclipse:eclipse- Set up a 3-node, unsecured cluster with 3 queues, one of which has preemption enabled- Ran a successful test to ensure that preemption would happen to containers on the preemptable queue if they were needed for an application on another queue.- Ran successful streaming and yarn shell tests
Junping, I did have a concern about labelled nodes and queues. Is full label support backported to 2.6.4? I see that the syntax for the rmadmin command lists label commands like -addToClusterNodeLabels and -replaceLabelsOnNode. I was able to add a label (using -addToClusterNodeLabels) and I was able to define a queue whose accessible node label was listed with my specified label. However, when I tried to set the node label to a specific node using -replaceLabelsOnNode, the label does not show up on the specified node in cluster nodes UI (http://RM:8088/cluster/nodes). I also confirmed that submitting a job to the labelled queue gets accepted but never runs, which is the behavior I would expect if no node had the specified label. I will also add that this procedure works fine in 2.7.
Thanks,-Eric Payne

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.4 RC0

Naganarasimha Garla
+1 (non binding)

* Downloaded hadoop-2.6.4-RC0-src.tar.gz- built from source both package,
install, and verified the MD5 checksum
* Did a Pseudo cluster and tested basic hdfs operations
* Ran sleep job and Pi job
* Added node label and ran job under the label by
configuring default-node-label-expression and it ran fine

Eric Payne,
Hope you tried adding/replacing the labels using NodeId/Node Address and
not the HTTP address!
I executed the following command to configure the label and node
  "./yarn rmadmin -replaceLabelsOnNode  "localhost:43795,test1"  "
After this was able to submit the job for a label

Regards,
+ Naga

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 11:06 PM, Eric Payne <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Junping Du. Thank you for your work preparing this release.
> I did the following things to test release Hadoop 2.6.4 rc0:-
> Downloaded hadoop-2.6.4-RC0-src.tar.gz- built from source both package,
> install, and eclipse:eclipse- Set up a 3-node, unsecured cluster with 3
> queues, one of which has preemption enabled- Ran a successful test to
> ensure that preemption would happen to containers on the preemptable queue
> if they were needed for an application on another queue.- Ran successful
> streaming and yarn shell tests
> Junping, I did have a concern about labelled nodes and queues. Is full
> label support backported to 2.6.4? I see that the syntax for the rmadmin
> command lists label commands like -addToClusterNodeLabels
> and -replaceLabelsOnNode. I was able to add a label
> (using -addToClusterNodeLabels) and I was able to define a queue whose
> accessible node label was listed with my specified label. However, when I
> tried to set the node label to a specific node using -replaceLabelsOnNode,
> the label does not show up on the specified node in cluster nodes UI (
> http://RM:8088/cluster/nodes). I also confirmed that submitting a job to
> the labelled queue gets accepted but never runs, which is the behavior I
> would expect if no node had the specified label. I will also add that this
> procedure works fine in 2.7.
> Thanks,-Eric Payne
>
>       From: Junping Du <[hidden email]>
>  To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>; "
> [hidden email]" <[hidden email]>; "
> [hidden email]" <[hidden email]>; "
> [hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
>  Sent: Wednesday, February 3, 2016 1:01 AM
>  Subject: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.4 RC0
>
> Hi community folks,
>   I've created a release candidate RC0 for Apache Hadoop 2.6.4 (the next
> maintenance release to follow up 2.6.3.) according to email thread of
> release plan 2.6.4 [1]. Below is details of this release candidate:
>
> The RC is available for validation at:
> *http://people.apache.org/~junping_du/hadoop-2.6.4-RC0/
> <http://people.apache.org/~junping_du/hadoop-2.6.4-RC0/>*
>
> The RC tag in git is: release-2.6.4-RC0
>
> The maven artifacts are staged via repository.apache.org at:
> *https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1028/?
> <https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1028/
> >*
>
> You can find my public key at:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/dist/KEYS
>
> Please try the release and vote. The vote will run for the usual 5 days.
>
> Thanks!
>

> Cheers,
>
> Junping
>

> [1]: 2.6.4 release plan: http://markmail.org/message/fk3ud3c665lscvx5?

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.4 RC0

Eric Payne-3
Naganarasimha Garla, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I used the node ID. I did not include a port. Here are the steps I used, which work for me on 2.7:

- yarn rmadmin -addToClusterNodeLabels abc
- yarn rmadmin -replaceLabelsOnNode hostname.company.com=abc
- configure queue properties as appropriate
- yarn rmadmin -refreshQueues

As I say, this works for me when I try it on 2.7 and later. It's probably something with my environment. I will continue to look into it.

Thanks for your help
-Eric

________________________________
* Downloaded hadoop-2.6.4-RC0-src.tar.gz- built from source both package, install, and verified the MD5 checksum

* Did a Pseudo cluster and tested basic hdfs operations
* Ran sleep job and Pi job
* Added node label and ran job under the label by configuring default-node-label-expression and it ran fine

Eric Payne,
Hope you tried adding/replacing the labels using NodeId/Node Address and not the HTTP address!
I executed the following command to configure the label and node
  "./yarn rmadmin -replaceLabelsOnNode  "localhost:43795,test1"  "
After this was able to submit the job for a label

Regards,
+ Naga

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 11:06 PM, Eric Payne <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Junping Du. Thank you for your work preparing this release.

>I did the following things to test release Hadoop 2.6.4 rc0:- Downloaded hadoop-2.6.4-RC0-src.tar.gz- built from source both package, install, and eclipse:eclipse- Set up a 3-node, unsecured cluster with 3 queues, one of which has preemption enabled- Ran a successful test to ensure that preemption would happen to containers on the preemptable queue if they were needed for an application on another queue.- Ran successful streaming and yarn shell tests
>Junping, I did have a concern about labelled nodes and queues. Is full label support backported to 2.6.4? I see that the syntax for the rmadmin command lists label commands like -addToClusterNodeLabels and -replaceLabelsOnNode. I was able to add a label (using -addToClusterNodeLabels) and I was able to define a queue whose accessible node label was listed with my specified label. However, when I tried to set the node label to a specific node using -replaceLabelsOnNode, the label does not show up on the specified node in cluster nodes UI (http://RM:8088/cluster/nodes). I also confirmed that submitting a job to the labelled queue gets accepted but never runs, which is the behavior I would expect if no node had the specified label. I will also add that this procedure works fine in 2.7.
>Thanks,-Eric Payne

Jason Lowe-2
+1 (binding)
- verified signatures and digests- built native from source- deployed a single-node cluster and ran some sample MapReduce jobs.
Jason

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.4 RC0

Sangjin Lee
+1 (not binding)

- downloaded both the source and the binary tarballs, and checked the
checksums and signatures
- started a pseudo-distributed cluster and ran test MR jobs
- spot checked the URI and the logs

Sangjin

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 4:17 PM, Jason Lowe <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> +1 (binding)
> - verified signatures and digests- built native from source- deployed a
> single-node cluster and ran some sample MapReduce jobs.
> Jason
>

>       From: Junping Du <[hidden email]>
>  To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>; "
> [hidden email]" <[hidden email]>; "
> [hidden email]" <[hidden email]>; "
> [hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
>  Sent: Wednesday, February 3, 2016 1:01 AM
>  Subject: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.4 RC0
>
> Hi community folks,
>   I've created a release candidate RC0 for Apache Hadoop 2.6.4 (the next
> maintenance release to follow up 2.6.3.) according to email thread of
> release plan 2.6.4 [1]. Below is details of this release candidate:
>
> The RC is available for validation at:
> *http://people.apache.org/~junping_du/hadoop-2.6.4-RC0/
> <http://people.apache.org/~junping_du/hadoop-2.6.4-RC0/>*
>
> The RC tag in git is: release-2.6.4-RC0
>
> The maven artifacts are staged via repository.apache.org at:
> *https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1028/?
> <https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1028/
> >*
>
> You can find my public key at:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/dist/KEYS
>
> Please try the release and vote. The vote will run for the usual 5 days.
>
> Thanks!
>

> Cheers,
>
> Junping
>

> [1]: 2.6.4 release plan: http://markmail.org/message/fk3ud3c665lscvx5?

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.4 RC0

Mit Desai-3
+1 (non-binding)
- verified signatures
- built from source and deployed to a single node cluster.
- ran sample map reduce jobs successfully

Thanks Jinping Du for putting up the work to prepare the release.

-Mit Desai

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 5:35 PM, Sangjin Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 (not binding)
>
> - downloaded both the source and the binary tarballs, and checked the
> checksums and signatures
> - started a pseudo-distributed cluster and ran test MR jobs
> - spot checked the URI and the logs
>
> Sangjin
>
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 4:17 PM, Jason Lowe <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > +1 (binding)
> > - verified signatures and digests- built native from source- deployed a
> > single-node cluster and ran some sample MapReduce jobs.
> > Jason
> >

> >       From: Junping Du <[hidden email]>
> >  To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>; "
> > [hidden email]" <[hidden email]>; "
> > [hidden email]" <[hidden email]>; "
> > [hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
> >  Sent: Wednesday, February 3, 2016 1:01 AM
> >  Subject: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.4 RC0
> >
> > Hi community folks,
> >   I've created a release candidate RC0 for Apache Hadoop 2.6.4 (the next
> > maintenance release to follow up 2.6.3.) according to email thread of
> > release plan 2.6.4 [1]. Below is details of this release candidate:
> >
> > The RC is available for validation at:
> > *http://people.apache.org/~junping_du/hadoop-2.6.4-RC0/
> > <http://people.apache.org/~junping_du/hadoop-2.6.4-RC0/>*
> >
> > The RC tag in git is: release-2.6.4-RC0
> >
> > The maven artifacts are staged via repository.apache.org at:
> > *
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1028/?
> > <
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1028/
> > >*
> >
> > You can find my public key at:
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/dist/KEYS
> >
> > Please try the release and vote. The vote will run for the usual 5 days.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> > Cheers,
> >
> > Junping
> >

> > [1]: 2.6.4 release plan: http://markmail.org/message/fk3ud3c665lscvx5?

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.4 RC0

Chen He
Thank you Junping for the release work.

+1 non-binding

- built from source code using Java7 and deploy to a two-node cluster;
- run WC and loadgen, passed;

Regards!

Chen

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 6:11 PM, Mit Desai <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 (non-binding)
> - verified signatures
> - built from source and deployed to a single node cluster.
> - ran sample map reduce jobs successfully
>
> Thanks Jinping Du for putting up the work to prepare the release.
>
> -Mit Desai
>

> On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 5:35 PM, Sangjin Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > +1 (not binding)
> >
> > - downloaded both the source and the binary tarballs, and checked the
> > checksums and signatures
> > - started a pseudo-distributed cluster and ran test MR jobs
> > - spot checked the URI and the logs
> >
> > Sangjin
> >
> > On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 4:17 PM, Jason Lowe <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > +1 (binding)
> > > - verified signatures and digests- built native from source- deployed a
> > > single-node cluster and ran some sample MapReduce jobs.
> > > Jason
> > >

> > >       From: Junping Du <[hidden email]>
> > >  To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>; "
> > > [hidden email]" <[hidden email]>; "
> > > [hidden email]" <[hidden email]>; "
> > > [hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
> > >  Sent: Wednesday, February 3, 2016 1:01 AM
> > >  Subject: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.4 RC0
> > >
> > > Hi community folks,
> > >   I've created a release candidate RC0 for Apache Hadoop 2.6.4 (the
> next
> > > maintenance release to follow up 2.6.3.) according to email thread of
> > > release plan 2.6.4 [1]. Below is details of this release candidate:
> > >
> > > The RC is available for validation at:
> > > *http://people.apache.org/~junping_du/hadoop-2.6.4-RC0/
> > > <http://people.apache.org/~junping_du/hadoop-2.6.4-RC0/>*
> > >
> > > The RC tag in git is: release-2.6.4-RC0
> > >
> > > The maven artifacts are staged via repository.apache.org at:
> > > *
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1028/
> ?
> > > <
> > https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1028/
> > >
> > > You can find my public key at:
> > > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/dist/KEYS
> > >
> > > Please try the release and vote. The vote will run for the usual 5
> days.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >

> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Junping
> > >

> > > [1]: 2.6.4 release plan: http://markmail.org/message/fk3ud3c665lscvx5?

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.4 RC0

Chang Li
Thanks Junping!
+1 non-binding.

Verified signatures.
Built and deployed a single node cluster successfully.
Ran some MR jobs successfully.
Checked UIs.
Ran basic commands successfully.

Best,
Chang Li

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 9:34 PM, Chen He <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you Junping for the release work.
>
> +1 non-binding
>
> - built from source code using Java7 and deploy to a two-node cluster;
> - run WC and loadgen, passed;
>
> Regards!
>
> Chen
>
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 6:11 PM, Mit Desai <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > +1 (non-binding)
> > - verified signatures
> > - built from source and deployed to a single node cluster.
> > - ran sample map reduce jobs successfully
> >
> > Thanks Jinping Du for putting up the work to prepare the release.
> >
> > -Mit Desai
> >

> > On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 5:35 PM, Sangjin Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > +1 (not binding)
> > >
> > > - downloaded both the source and the binary tarballs, and checked the
> > > checksums and signatures
> > > - started a pseudo-distributed cluster and ran test MR jobs
> > > - spot checked the URI and the logs
> > >
> > > Sangjin

> deployed a

> "

> > next

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1028/
> > ?
> > >
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1028/

> > days.

> http://markmail.org/message/fk3ud3c665lscvx5?

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.4 RC0

Wangda Tan
Hi Eric,

replaceLabelsOnNode CLI syntax is different between 2.6 and 2.7.

As mentioned by Naga, In 2.6, you should use "node1<:port>,label
node2,label ..."
And in 2.7, you can use either "," or "=" to separate host and label.

So 2.7 is backward-compatible to 2.6, but it's not guaranteed that 2.7's
CLI works on 2.6.

Please let me know if you have any concern for this.

Thanks,
Wangda

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 4:19 AM, Eric Payne <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Naganarasimha Garla, thanks for the reply.
>
> Yes, I used the node ID. I did not include a port. Here are the steps I
> used, which work for me on 2.7:
>
> - yarn rmadmin -addToClusterNodeLabels abc
> - yarn rmadmin -replaceLabelsOnNode hostname.company.com=abc
> - configure queue properties as appropriate
> - yarn rmadmin -refreshQueues
>
> As I say, this works for me when I try it on 2.7 and later. It's probably
> something with my environment. I will continue to look into it.
>
> Thanks for your help
> -Eric
>

> ________________________________
> From: Naganarasimha Garla <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]; Eric Payne <[hidden email]>

- Deployed a local cluster.
- Configured node labels on queues/nodes.
* Run job with node labels successfully.

Regards,
Wangda

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 10:36 PM, Wangda Tan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> replaceLabelsOnNode CLI syntax is different between 2.6 and 2.7.
>
> As mentioned by Naga, In 2.6, you should use "node1<:port>,label
> node2,label ..."
> And in 2.7, you can use either "," or "=" to separate host and label.
>
> So 2.7 is backward-compatible to 2.6, but it's not guaranteed that 2.7's
> CLI works on 2.6.
>
> Please let me know if you have any concern for this.
>
> Thanks,
> Wangda
>
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 4:19 AM, Eric Payne <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Naganarasimha Garla, thanks for the reply.
>>
>> Yes, I used the node ID. I did not include a port. Here are the steps I
>> used, which work for me on 2.7:
>>
>> - yarn rmadmin -addToClusterNodeLabels abc
>> - yarn rmadmin -replaceLabelsOnNode hostname.company.com=abc
>> - configure queue properties as appropriate
>> - yarn rmadmin -refreshQueues
>>
>> As I say, this works for me when I try it on 2.7 and later. It's probably
>> something with my environment. I will continue to look into it.
>>
>> Thanks for your help
>> -Eric
>>

>> ________________________________
>> From: Naganarasimha Garla <[hidden email]>
>> To: [hidden email]; Eric Payne <[hidden email]

Kuhu Shukla
+1 (non-binding)
- Built source- Deployed a single node cluster- Ran a sample streaming job- Ran basic hadoop fs commands.
Thanks Junping!Regards,Kuhu

    On Tuesday, February 9, 2016 8:46 AM, Wangda Tan <[hidden email]> wrote:

 +1 (binding)

- Deployed a local cluster.
- Configured node labels on queues/nodes.
* Run job with node labels successfully.

Regards,
Wangda

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 10:36 PM, Wangda Tan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> replaceLabelsOnNode CLI syntax is different between 2.6 and 2.7.
>
> As mentioned by Naga, In 2.6, you should use "node1<:port>,label
> node2,label ..."
> And in 2.7, you can use either "," or "=" to separate host and label.
>
> So 2.7 is backward-compatible to 2.6, but it's not guaranteed that 2.7's
> CLI works on 2.6.
>
> Please let me know if you have any concern for this.
>
> Thanks,
> Wangda
>
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 4:19 AM, Eric Payne <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Naganarasimha Garla, thanks for the reply.
>>
>> Yes, I used the node ID. I did not include a port. Here are the steps I
>> used, which work for me on 2.7:
>>
>> - yarn rmadmin -addToClusterNodeLabels abc
>> - yarn rmadmin -replaceLabelsOnNode hostname.company.com=abc
>> - configure queue properties as appropriate
>> - yarn rmadmin -refreshQueues
>>
>> As I say, this works for me when I try it on 2.7 and later. It's probably
>> something with my environment. I will continue to look into it.
>>
>> Thanks for your help
>> -Eric
>>

>> ________________________________
>> From: Naganarasimha Garla <[hidden email]>
>> To: [hidden email]; Eric Payne <[hidden email]

Sunil Govind
+1 (non-binding) with one note,

- Installed tar ball from source and brought up the cluster
- Ran few MR jobs and those are working fine.
- UI and REST apis are also looks fine. Ran few rest queries for this test.
- Tested node label feature and works fine. (one observation during this
testing)

One note to add here. "-Dmapreduce.job.node-label-expression" support is
not there 2.6.4. (MAPREDUCE-6304). So we cannot specify label to
application while submitting.  I think this also can be ported to 2.6
branch so it will help to specify labels at submission time.

Thanks and Regards
Sunil

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 12:31 PM Junping Du <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi community folks,
>    I've created a release candidate RC0 for Apache Hadoop 2.6.4 (the next
> maintenance release to follow up 2.6.3.) according to email thread of
> release plan 2.6.4 [1]. Below is details of this release candidate:
>
> The RC is available for validation at:
> *http://people.apache.org/~junping_du/hadoop-2.6.4-RC0/
> <http://people.apache.org/~junping_du/hadoop-2.6.4-RC0/>*
>
> The RC tag in git is: release-2.6.4-RC0
>
> The maven artifacts are staged via repository.apache.org at:
> *https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1028/?
> <https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1028/
> >*
>
> You can find my public key at:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/dist/KEYS
>
> Please try the release and vote. The vote will run for the usual 5 days.
>
> Thanks!
>

> Cheers,
>
> Junping
>

> [1]: 2.6.4 release plan: http://markmail.org/message/fk3ud3c665lscvx5?

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.4 RC0

Tsuyoshi Ozawa-3
+1(binding)

- Verified signatures.
- Ran tests for Apache Tez with the artifacts. All tests passed.
- Ran local cluster and ran some examples on it.

- Tsuyoshi

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 2:18 AM, Sunil Govind <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 (non-binding) with one note,
>
> - Installed tar ball from source and brought up the cluster
> - Ran few MR jobs and those are working fine.
> - UI and REST apis are also looks fine. Ran few rest queries for this test.
> - Tested node label feature and works fine. (one observation during this
> testing)
>
> One note to add here. "-Dmapreduce.job.node-label-expression" support is
> not there 2.6.4. (MAPREDUCE-6304). So we cannot specify label to
> application while submitting.  I think this also can be ported to 2.6
> branch so it will help to specify labels at submission time.
>
> Thanks and Regards
> Sunil
>
> On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 12:31 PM Junping Du <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi community folks,
>>    I've created a release candidate RC0 for Apache Hadoop 2.6.4 (the next
>> maintenance release to follow up 2.6.3.) according to email thread of
>> release plan 2.6.4 [1]. Below is details of this release candidate:
>>
>> The RC is available for validation at:
>> *http://people.apache.org/~junping_du/hadoop-2.6.4-RC0/
>> <http://people.apache.org/~junping_du/hadoop-2.6.4-RC0/>*
>>
>> The RC tag in git is: release-2.6.4-RC0
>>
>> The maven artifacts are staged via repository.apache.org at:
>> *https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1028/?
>> <https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1028/
>> >*
>>
>> You can find my public key at:
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/dist/KEYS
>>
>> Please try the release and vote. The vote will run for the usual 5 days.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Junping
>>

>> [1]: 2.6.4 release plan: http://markmail.org/message/fk3ud3c665lscvx5?

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.6.4 RC0

Junping Du-2
Thanks Yongjun for identifying and proposing this change to 2.6.4. I think this is the right thing to do and check for following releases. For 2.6.4, it seems unnecessary to create another release candidate for this issue as we only kicking off a new RC build when last RC has serious problem in functionality. The vote progress is quite smoothly so far, so it seems unlikely that we will create a new RC. However, I think there are still two options here:
Option 1:  in final build, adopt change of HDFS-9629 that only updates the footer of Web UI to show year 2016.
Option 2: skip HDFS-9629 for 2.6.4 and adopt it later for 2.6.5.
I prefer Option 1 as this is a very low risky change without affecting any functionality, and we allow non-functional changes (like release date, etc.) happen on final build after RC passed. I would like to hear the voices in community here before acting for the next step. Thoughts?