Hadoop Community Sync Up Schedule

Wangda Tan
Hi folks,

And here's calendar file:

We gave it a try this week for YARN+MR and Submarine sync, feedbacks from participants seems pretty good, lots of new information shared during sync up, and companies are using/developing Hadoop can better know each other.

Next week there're 4 community sync-ups (Two Submarine for different timezones, one YARN+MR, one storage), please join to whichever you're interested:

image.png

Zoom info and notes can be found in the Google calendar invitation.

Thanks,
Wangda

Re: Hadoop Community Sync Up Schedule

俊平堵-2

Hi Folks,

     Kindly remind that we have YARN+MR APAC sync today, and you are welcome to join:

Time and Date:07/25 1:00 pm (CST Time)

Zoom link:Zoom | https://cloudera.zoom.us/j/880548968

Summary:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GY55sXrekVd-aDyRY7uzaX0hMDPyh3T-AL1kUY2TI5M

Thanks,

Junping

Wangda Tan <[hidden email]> 于2019年6月28日周五 上午2:57写道:
Hi folks,

And here's calendar file:

We gave it a try this week for YARN+MR and Submarine sync, feedbacks from participants seems pretty good, lots of new information shared during sync up, and companies are using/developing Hadoop can better know each other.

Next week there're 4 community sync-ups (Two Submarine for different timezones, one YARN+MR, one storage), please join to whichever you're interested:

image.png

Zoom info and notes can be found in the Google calendar invitation.

Thanks,
Wangda

Re: Hadoop Community Sync Up Schedule

Wei-Chiu Chuang-2
+1

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019 at 8:32 PM Wangda Tan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi folks,

We have run community sync up for 1.5 months. I spoke to folks offline and
got some feedback. Here's a summary of what I've observed from sync ups and
talked to organizers.

Following sync ups have very good participants (sometimes 10+ folks
joined):
- YARN/MR monthly sync up in APAC (Mandarin)
- HDFS monthly sync up in APAC (Mandarin).
- Submarine weekly sync up in APAC (Mandarin).

Following sync up have OK-ish participants: (3-5 folks joined).
- Storage monthly sync up in APAC (English)
- Storage bi-weekly sync up in US (English)
- YARN bi-weekly sync up in US (English).

Following sync ups don't have good participants: (Skipped a couple of
times).
- YARN monthly sync up in APAC (English).
- Submarine bi-weekly sync up in US (English).

*So I'd like to propose the following changes and fixes of the schedule: *
1) Cancel the YARN/MR monthly sync up in APAC (English). Folks from APAC
who speak English can choose to join the US session.
2) Cancel the Submarine bi-weekly sync up in US (English). Now Submarine
developers and users are fast-growing in Mandarin-speaking areas. We can
resume the sync if we do see demands from English-speaking areas.
3) Update the US sync up time from 9AM to 10AM PDT. 9AM is too early for
most of the west-cost folks.

*Following are fixes for the schedule:  *
1) In the proposal, repeats are not properly. (I used bi-weekly instead of
2nd/4th week as repeat frequency). I'd like to fix the frequency on Thu and
it will take effect starting next week.

Overall, thanks for everybody who participated in the sync ups. I do see
community contributions grow in the last one month!

Any thoughts about the proposal?

Thanks,
Wangda

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 11:53 AM 俊平堵 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
>      Kindly remind that we have YARN+MR APAC sync today, and you are
> welcome to join:
>

> Time and Date:07/25 1:00 pm (CST Time)
>
> Zoom link:Zoom | https://cloudera.zoom.us/j/880548968

> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GY55sXrekVd-aDyRY7uzaX0hMDPyh3T-AL1kUY2TI5M
>

> Thanks,
>

> Junping
>

> Wangda Tan <[hidden email]> 于2019年6月28日周五 上午2:57写道:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Here's the Hadoop Community Sync Up proposal/schedule:
> >
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GfNpYKhNUERAEH7m3yx6OfleoF3MqoQk3nJ7xqHD9nY/edit#heading=h.xh4zfwj8ppmn
> >
> > And here's calendar file:
> >

> https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/hadoop.community.sync.up%40gmail.com/public/basic.ics
> >
> > We gave it a try this week for YARN+MR and Submarine sync, feedbacks from
> > participants seems pretty good, lots of new information shared during
> sync
> > up, and companies are using/developing Hadoop can better know each other.
> >
> > Next week there're 4 community sync-ups (Two Submarine for different
> > timezones, one YARN+MR, one storage), please join to whichever you're
> > interested:
> >
> > [image: image.png]
> >
> > Zoom info and notes can be found in the Google calendar invitation.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Wangda

Re: Hadoop Community Sync Up Schedule

Matt Foley-2
Hi Wangda, thanks for this. A question about the schedule correction:

> > 1) In the proposal, repeats are not properly. (I used bi-weekly instead of
> 2nd/4th week as repeat frequency). I'd like to fix the frequency on Thu and
> it will take effect starting next week.

I understand that “bi-weekly” may cause 3 meetings in some months, and that’s not the intent.
Is it your intent to schedule “Wednesday of the 2nd and 4th weeks of each month” or “2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month”? — which of course are not the same, for months that start on Thu-Sat...

As a side note, I find that my calendar program cannot express “Wednesday of the second week of the month”, but does know how to do “second Wednesday of the month”.

But I’ll schedule them one-by-one if I have to, I just wanted clarity. :-)

Thanks,
—Matt

On Aug 19, 2019, at 8:31 PM, Wangda Tan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Here's the Hadoop Community Sync Up proposal/schedule:
>>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GfNpYKhNUERAEH7m3yx6OfleoF3MqoQk3nJ7xqHD9nY/edit#heading=h.xh4zfwj8ppmn
>>
>> And here's calendar file:
>>

> https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/hadoop.community.sync.up%40gmail.com/public/basic.ics
>>
>> We gave it a try this week for YARN+MR and Submarine sync, feedbacks from
>> participants seems pretty good, lots of new information shared during
> sync
>> up, and companies are using/developing Hadoop can better know each other.
>>
>> Next week there're 4 community sync-ups (Two Submarine for different
>> timezones, one YARN+MR, one storage), please join to whichever you're
>> interested:
>>
>> [image: image.png]
>>
>> Zoom info and notes can be found in the Google calendar invitation.

Manikandan R
>> For folks in other US time zones: how about 11am PDT, is it better or 10am
PDT will be better?

+1 for 10 am PDT

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 3:31 PM Wangda Tan <[hidden email]> wrote:
For folks in other US time zones: how about 11am PDT, is it better or 10am
PDT will be better? I will be fine with both.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for mentioning this issue, this is the exactly issue I saw 🤣.

Basically there’re two options:

- a. weekly, bi-weekly (for odd/even week) and every four months.
- b. weekly, 1st/3rd week or 2nd/4th week, x-th week monthly.

I’m not sure which one is easier for people to understand as the issue you
mentioned.

After thinking about it. I prefer a. since it is more consistent for
audience and not disrupted because of calendar.

If we choose a. I will redo the proposal and make it aligns with a.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Wangda

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 4:11 AM Matt Foley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >>

> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GfNpYKhNUERAEH7m3yx6OfleoF3MqoQk3nJ7xqHD9nY/edit#heading=h.xh4zfwj8ppmn
> >>
> >> And here's calendar file:
> >>

> https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/hadoop.community.sync.up%40gmail.com/public/basic.ics
> >>
> >> We gave it a try this week for YARN+MR and Submarine sync, feedbacks
> from
> >> participants seems pretty good, lots of new information shared during
> > sync
> >> up, and companies are using/developing Hadoop can better know each
> other.
> >>
> >> Next week there're 4 community sync-ups (Two Submarine for different
> >> timezones, one YARN+MR, one storage), please join to whichever you're
> >> interested:
> >>
> >> [image: image.png]
> >>
> >> Zoom info and notes can be found in the Google calendar invitation.

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: Hadoop Community Sync Up Schedule

Susheel Kumar Gadalay
Please remove user@hadoop from this mail list.