HDP3.0: NameNode is not formatted

Lian Jiang
Hi,

I am using ambari 2.7 blueprint to install HDP3.0. After installing, the active namenode cannot start due to error:

2018-07-30 04:41:03,839 WARN  namenode.FSNamesystem (FSNamesystem.java:loadFromDisk(716)) - Encountered exception loading fsimage
java.io.IOException: NameNode is not formatted.
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSImage.recoverTransitionRead(FSImage.java:237)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.loadFSImage(FSNamesystem.java:1086)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.FSNamesystem.loadFromDisk(FSNamesystem.java:714)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.loadNamesystem(NameNode.java:632)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.initialize(NameNode.java:694)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.<init>(NameNode.java:937)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.<init>(NameNode.java:910)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.createNameNode(NameNode.java:1643)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.NameNode.main(NameNode.java:1710)

By running "sudo -u hdfs hdfs namenode -format" mentioned in https://community.cloudera.com/t5/Cloudera-Manager-Installation/Got-error-java-io-IOException-NameNode-is-not-formatted-but/td-p/56814, I am able to start namenode. However, for HDP installation automation, I should not have run this  command manually.

Any idea why ambari failed to format namenode in the first place? Thanks.

Re: HDP3.0: NameNode is not formatted

Lian Jiang
This document mentions namenode formatting and bootstrapping:
https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP3/HDP-3.0.0/data-storage/content/format_namenodes.html

Can ambari blueprint take care of it? How to streamline the HDP installation automation?