[DISCUSS] branch-2.7 EoL

Akira Ajisaka-4
Hi folks,

I thought it's time to release 2.7.8, however, I found that the JSON
license, which is category X, is bundled in branch-2.7 and 2.8 [1][2].

To fix the license issue, we need to upgrade AWK SDK version and the
upgrade requires the update of Jackson version. The Jackson upgrade is
very incompatible and it caused many troubles in downstream projects
[3]. However, the release must not contain any libraries licensed to
category X, we need to make the incompatible change in branch-2.8.

In branch-2.7, the upgrade is much more harder because we need to
change the dependency from aws-sdk to aws-sdk-s3, this is also
incompatible [4].

It is more than 3 years since 2.7.0 was released and the maintenance
period is the longest in the  history of Apache Hadoop, so I'm
thinking we need to decide when to stop the maintenance work. Probably
there are 3 options to handle this problem:

1) EoL 2.7.x.
2) Release 2.7.8 without AWS SDK from binary tarball. (problem about POMs open)
3) Upgrade AWS SDK version and release 2.7.8. (incompatible change)

What do you think?

[1]: https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#json
[2]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-16055
[3]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-12705
[4]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-12269

P.S. Thanks Steve Loughran for your detailed information about AWS SDK
and Jackson updates.

Re: [DISCUSS] branch-2.7 EoL

Steve Loughran-3

> On 24 Jan 2019, at 10:14, Akira Ajisaka <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi folks,
>
> I thought it's time to release 2.7.8, however, I found that the JSON
> license, which is category X, is bundled in branch-2.7 and 2.8 [1][2].
>
> To fix the license issue, we need to upgrade AWK SDK version and the
> upgrade requires the update of Jackson version. The Jackson upgrade is
> very incompatible and it caused many troubles in downstream projects
> [3]. However, the release must not contain any libraries licensed to
> category X, we need to make the incompatible change in branch-2.8.
>
> In branch-2.7, the upgrade is much more harder because we need to
> change the dependency from aws-sdk to aws-sdk-s3, this is also
> incompatible [4].
>
> It is more than 3 years since 2.7.0 was released and the maintenance
> period is the longest in the  history of Apache Hadoop, so I'm
> thinking we need to decide when to stop the maintenance work. Probably
> there are 3 options to handle this problem:
>
> 1) EoL 2.7.x.
> 2) Release 2.7.8 without AWS SDK from binary tarball. (problem about POMs open)

+ and declare this the last; warn people that if they want the AWS SDK then they need to add it.

> 3) Upgrade AWS SDK version and release 2.7.8. (incompatible change)
>
> What do you think?
>
> [1]: https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#json
> [2]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-16055
> [3]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-12705
> [4]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-12269
>
> P.S. Thanks Steve Loughran for your detailed information about AWS SDK
> and Jackson updates.

let's just say its trouble -but that I don't want a transitive and optional module to be dictating that jackson version applications like HBase need to be recompiled for

Re: [DISCUSS] branch-2.7 EoL

Akira Ajisaka-4
Thanks Steve for the additional information.
Since there is no negative feedback for EoL 2.7.x, so I'm thinking we
can stop releasing 2.7.7.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Akira

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 8:25 PM Steve Loughran <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 24 Jan 2019, at 10:14, Akira Ajisaka <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I thought it's time to release 2.7.8, however, I found that the JSON
> > license, which is category X, is bundled in branch-2.7 and 2.8 [1][2].
> >
> > To fix the license issue, we need to upgrade AWK SDK version and the
> > upgrade requires the update of Jackson version. The Jackson upgrade is
> > very incompatible and it caused many troubles in downstream projects
> > [3]. However, the release must not contain any libraries licensed to
> > category X, we need to make the incompatible change in branch-2.8.
> >
> > In branch-2.7, the upgrade is much more harder because we need to
> > change the dependency from aws-sdk to aws-sdk-s3, this is also
> > incompatible [4].
> >
> > It is more than 3 years since 2.7.0 was released and the maintenance
> > period is the longest in the  history of Apache Hadoop, so I'm
> > thinking we need to decide when to stop the maintenance work. Probably
> > there are 3 options to handle this problem:
> >
> > 1) EoL 2.7.x.
> > 2) Release 2.7.8 without AWS SDK from binary tarball. (problem about POMs open)
>
> + and declare this the last; warn people that if they want the AWS SDK then they need to add it.
>
> > 3) Upgrade AWS SDK version and release 2.7.8. (incompatible change)
> >
> > What do you think?
> >
> > [1]: https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#json
> > [2]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-16055
> > [3]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-12705
> > [4]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-12269
> >
> > P.S. Thanks Steve Loughran for your detailed information about AWS SDK
> > and Jackson updates.
>
> let's just say its trouble -but that I don't want a transitive and optional module to be dictating that jackson version applications like HBase need to be recompiled for

Re: [DISCUSS] branch-2.7 EoL

Akira Ajisaka-4
Sorry 2.7.7 should be 2.7.8.

On Thu, Mar 7, 2019 at 11:46 AM Akira Ajisaka <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Steve for the additional information.
> Since there is no negative feedback for EoL 2.7.x, so I'm thinking we
> can stop releasing 2.7.7.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Regards,
> Akira
>
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 8:25 PM Steve Loughran <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > > On 24 Jan 2019, at 10:14, Akira Ajisaka <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > I thought it's time to release 2.7.8, however, I found that the JSON
> > > license, which is category X, is bundled in branch-2.7 and 2.8 [1][2].
> > >
> > > To fix the license issue, we need to upgrade AWK SDK version and the
> > > upgrade requires the update of Jackson version. The Jackson upgrade is
> > > very incompatible and it caused many troubles in downstream projects
> > > [3]. However, the release must not contain any libraries licensed to
> > > category X, we need to make the incompatible change in branch-2.8.
> > >
> > > In branch-2.7, the upgrade is much more harder because we need to
> > > change the dependency from aws-sdk to aws-sdk-s3, this is also
> > > incompatible [4].
> > >
> > > It is more than 3 years since 2.7.0 was released and the maintenance
> > > period is the longest in the  history of Apache Hadoop, so I'm
> > > thinking we need to decide when to stop the maintenance work. Probably
> > > there are 3 options to handle this problem:
> > >
> > > 1) EoL 2.7.x.
> > > 2) Release 2.7.8 without AWS SDK from binary tarball. (problem about POMs open)
> >
> > + and declare this the last; warn people that if they want the AWS SDK then they need to add it.
> >
> > > 3) Upgrade AWS SDK version and release 2.7.8. (incompatible change)
> > >
> > > What do you think?
> > >
> > > [1]: https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#json
> > > [2]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-16055
> > > [3]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-12705
> > > [4]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-12269
> > >
> > > P.S. Thanks Steve Loughran for your detailed information about AWS SDK
> > > and Jackson updates.
> >
> > let's just say its trouble -but that I don't want a transitive and optional module to be dictating that jackson version applications like HBase need to be recompiled for

Re: [DISCUSS] branch-2.7 EoL

Steve Loughran-4
I think it's time